The Sovereign Islands
Client: Lewiac Pty Ltd
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
The Sovereign Islands is a unique, prestigious large-scale Lewis Land Corporation residential development situated in the Southport Broadwater precinct. It comprises six interconnected islands providing deep-water frontage allotments with uninhibited access to the Gold Coast Seaway.
Created from sand islands and an additional special lease reclamation of 1.4 million cubic metres dredged from surrounding navigation channels, The Sovereign Islands became the first water frontage housing development in Australia to offer wall-to-wall water capable of floating luxury yachts and power boats at all stages of the tide.
VDM Consulting has been responsible for detailed planning, design and construction, contract administration, large scale dredged land reclamation, and for revetments and residential infrastructure works almost since the beginning back in 1988.
Some of the development’s statistics:
- Total length of revetment – 14.4km.
- Total canal length – 6.4km.
- Total road length – 10km.
- Total reclamation earthworks – 2.3 million cubic metres of fill.
- Total concrete used – 25,000 cubic metres.
- Total allotments – 713 (all but three on deep water frontage).
- Blocks in the last stage sold for over AUD$2 million each.