Ecological assessment is an essential component of any project which seeks to alter, enhance or protect our natural resources or landscapes. It is only through a detailed knowledge of the interactions between plants, animals, soils and the aquatic resources of an area, that constraints and opportunities in their management can be wholly appreciated.
Within the VDM Environmental team are a highly experienced group of ecologists and natural resource managers, skilled in the field of terrestrial ecology. This team combines a proven set of skills in desk top assessment, legislative knowledge and field survey expertise.
Our team comprises vegetation specialists with experience in plant identification, mapping and rehabilitation and fully licensed fauna spotter-catchers skilled in the trapping, handling and release of native fauna.
Experienced in the interpretation of data collected in the field our team also has a proven track record in the preparation of environmental impact reports and management plans. This has allowed VDM Environmental to accurately identify environmental constraints associated with numerous development and land management projects and ensure the implementation of appropriate resource management practices.
Combined these capabilities allow VDM Consulting to offer our clients a comprehensive natural resource assessment service, delivered within professional detailed and accurate documentation.
We are able to provide;
- Botanical survey, including determination of the regional significance of species and vegetation types.
- Fauna survey, including classification and mapping of habitat, for example nesting trees, corridor use or the extent of animal territories.
- Rare and endangered species identification, assessment and management plans.
- Long term monitoring to gauge fauna use or floral rehabilitation of restored or managed sites
- Preparation of mitigation plans to minimise development impact on significant species and habitats.
- Habitat translocation, restoration and management plans, with expertise in ecosystems ranging from rainforest to estuaries